Monday, October 05, 2015
Intake Manifold
The intake manifold presents quite a challenge. For the Q2, it must have a very low profile and the throttle body has to fit someplace that leaves enough room for the mass airflow sensor. Additionally, since the engine is very close to the firewall, there isn't much room to the aft. BTW: mounting the starter ring gear at the back of the engine was considered to allow pointing the throttle body/mass airflow forward but the idea was abandoned due to space and starter mounting concerns.

The manifold is made from 6061 aluminum tubing. The stock intake manifold flanges were cut at an angle and U-Bend tubing matched up.

January 15, 2007

A couple of updates.  I have not using either of the ports that I installed in the center section of the intake manifold.  Originally these were for the air-bypass valve and PCV valve.  However; both of these were eliminated during the flight test phase.

May 4, 2002

Intake manifold has been welded together. The inserts that I used to keep everything lined up worked perfectly and everything is nice and straight.


The welding was performed in two steps. First, I had the runners welded to the center section and to the head flange. I then cleaned up the inside of the center section with the die-grinder. Second, the center section end cap/throttle body flange were welded on.





The ninety-degree elbow between the throttle body and air flow sensor is from the original Legacy air intake tube. A bit of work with the die grinder was required on the inside to get the throttle body to fit properly.


The following are close-up's of the material removed from the throttle body. Also note that, for clearance reasons, the stock coolant inlet/outlet fittings have been removed, the body threaded, and 1/8" NPT x 1/4" hose fittings installed.


April 13, 2002

1.75" OD mandel bent 6061 aluminum tubing (from Burns Stainless) has been cut and trimmed. Runners (between the intake flange and center section) are connected using spacers that I made on the lathe. This was done to keep the alignment perfect during welding. After welding they will be removed and the runners connected using rubber/silicon hose (typical).

The center portion (3.5" OD) will be .5" above the case and will be supported by a couple of tabs.

Air will flow through the mass airflow sensor (which will be located on the left side (opposite the alternator)), through a tight 90 degree elbow, and into the throttle body. Hopefully the pencil holding the throttle body in place won't be needed after everthing is welded and bolted. The concerns here are the tight 90 degree bend and the "small" volume of the center section. Won't know if these are ok until I get it running.



If you look very closely at the following photos you can see that I have removed a bunch of "extra" material from the throttle body around the throttle stop area. Probably saved a whole 2-3 ounces, which, in the Formula 1 world, represents a few hundred thousand dollars!!!



Copyright 2013 by FinleyWeb.Net Terms Of Use | Privacy Statement